The Institute of Steel Structures was founded in 1965, and was among the first of the School of Civil Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens.
The Institute is located at the University Campus in Zografou. It occupies its own building with a total area of 2120 m² consisting of a four-story office building and a laboratory area. The building houses offices for faculty, students and staff, a PC Lab, a 61-seat auditorium and several auxiliary spaces. The laboratory has an area of 640 m² that is served by an overhead crane and comprises a strong floor.
The current Director of the Institute is Prof. Ioannis Vayas.
The Institute is active in the following areas:
- Industrial buildings
- Multi-story steel buildings
- Steel and composite steel-concrete bridges
- Industrial facilities
- Metal building products and systems for civil engineering applications
- Special steel structures
- Towers and masts
- Cable-stayed structures
- Structures made of composite materials (FRP)
- Steel structures for the energy sector (wind energy, photovoltaic systems, pipelines)